Actually, it all began when I was in sixth grade. After
learning a few random phrases of Spanish in elementary school, I ended up in a
Catholic school that only offered French. I was not overly enthused about this
prospect; I liked Spanish just fine, and anyway... who in the US speaks French?
All of that changed when I realized that my French teacher
was truly a Great Teacher – one of those that even we with privileged
educational backgrounds only encounter a handful of times in the course of K-12
education. Madame’s pedagogical prowess ensured that at least one 8th grader
per year placed in the top 10 nationwide in the corresponding level of the
National French Contest, a sort of standardized exam for French. I was one of
three in the top 10 my year. From that perspective, it seems only natural if
not inevitable that I would end up studying in Paris at some point. Ironically,
eighth grade was literally HALF my life ago... I’m a little late to the party,
and instead of pursuing French (which I took for another five years), I majored
in Spanish and have used that regularly in my years since college, including
two years as a Spanish teacher. (My French teachers forgave me for this.)
And so it was that I finally saw Paris for the first time
one year ago, 16 years after I first walked into a French class. I had delayed
going to Paris when planning previous trips because I knew that a) I’d end up
going eventually and b) I would need a significant amount of time to truly “do”
Paris. My trip last summer – a mere 48 hours in length – was an amuse bouche.
My friend Kelsey, who’d spent a semester in Paris during
college, was kind enough to allow me to accompany her for the weekend. I had
expressed an interest in just experiencing Paris in a very broad, cultural
sense – not museum hopping or a marathon of tourist attractions. As a result,
we had a wonderful, relaxed time. We ate breakfast in stages at patisseries
between our hotel and Sacré-Coeur,
chatted with artists in Montmartre, contemplated Monet’s beautiful water lilies
at the Orangerie, had a pique-nique on the banks of the Seine, ate falafel in
the Marais, and (purely by chance; we didn’t even know this was happening)
witnessed the end of the Tour de France on the Champs-Elysées.
At some point during the trip, I recalled that my law school
offered the opportunity to study in Paris. I had noted this during the
application process, but even then I didn’t think my French was up to snuff.
After all, I haven’t really used French since the end of 2003. I can still read
it pretty well, but speaking is a challenge. That being said, I managed to have
two conversations in Paris that strengthened my confidence: I asked enough
questions of one artist that he asked me if I were an artist myself, and I
discussed education policy with a cab driver. On our flight back to Amsterdam,
I decided to find out more about the program in Paris.
Now, a year later, here I am. My French is still a work in
progress, but I trust in the assurances of my first, amazing French teacher
that it will come back to me quickly. I’m nervous about a lot of things, but
I’m also excited beyond words. I knew the first time I left the US that I
wanted to live abroad, and now, for the first time, I’m truly going to do that.
I will be in Paris for eight months, with no return trips to the US.
Let the adventure begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment