Friday, August 16, 2013

72 hours and counting!

By the time I post this, it will be less than 72 hours before my plane to Paris takes off from Dulles, which makes this my last pre-Paris post!

The past few weeks have gone by very quickly. After wrapping up my summer job in DC, I came back to my mom’s house for my final two weeks in the US. I talked a lot before I got home of my plans to “frantically study French” during the bulk of this time, but that hasn’t happened beyond my continuing to read Harry Potter in French periodically. (I am encouraged by how much I understand, though I wonder how much of that stems from my previous familiarity with the material...) There hasn’t been much else to do in terms of getting ready: some final shopping, an array of appointments, and catching up with family friends. Leaving the country like this is a great opportunity to see a lot of people in a short period of time – I think I’ve been more socially active in the last four weeks than in the rest of the summer combined! I’m so grateful to have such a supportive network of family and friends here, and I’m glad to know that many of you reading this will be there for me as I work through the challenges of adapting to Parisian life and school!

I’ve expected to start feeling progressively more anxious about the move as my remaining days have dwindled, but that hasn’t been the case. I haven’t started feeling additional excitement, either. Both of these are good things, and I think it’s an indication that I’m trying to maintain balanced expectations of how the next couple of months are going to go. Paris is obviously synonymous with awesome, on numerous levels – and I’m thrilled about all of them – but there’s no question that it’s going to be a tough adjustment. This will not be my first time taking classes in another language or another country, but taking Private European Economic Law is going to be a radically different experience from the History of Art in Andalucía! I am hoping that since that course might be pretty foreign to me even in English that my language skills will not be as much of a problem as they could be. (That was the case with the art history course in Spain – we learned a bunch of art vocabulary for which I still have no English equivalent in my head.)

Next week I’m hoping to just take care of the necessities: Paris cell phone number, bank account, and metro card. Note for anyone out there who’s thinking of extended travel or study like this: if you’re an AT&T customer, they won’t unlock your iPhone (to allow for use of a foreign SIM card) unless your plan is finished! This means that I will go on what I’m sure will be an interesting adventure in search of someone on the streets of Paris who can unlock my phone for me.


Time to go pack – à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment