There's a nice museum at Utah Beach that offers a great 17-minute film about D-Day and a nice array of military stuff from the events. I'll leave it to you to do some research about the various beaches - this was the only one we visited as such. From here we drove to Pointe du Hoc, which was the site of a lot of German bunkers that were so thoroughly bombed by the Allies that there are still sizable holes in the ground.
(Note: this was the first summer in my entire life in which I did not see the ocean once. As such, I greatly enjoyed this opportunity to see the coast, and I took a lot of pictures of it. The Normandy coast is gorgeous, and there were tons of rainbows that day!)
Our final stop was the American Cemetery, which is technically American territory (just like American embassies). I have to admit I enjoyed the switch to signs in English. :) There's a nice visitor center with some videos that feature a few of the men who died on D-Day, and then there's the cemetery itself, which is obviously sobering but very lovely. I don't think these brave men could have wished for graves with a more beautiful view - the cemetery looks out over Omaha Beach; the picture above is actually from the the cemetery.
I really enjoyed reading an excerpt from a letter written by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (the author of Le Petit Prince) to American soldiers. He wrote that although France and the United States might one day disagree on issues, he (and his countrymen) would/should always be grateful to the United States for its assumption of responsibility for the liberty of people an entire ocean away. Apparently the people in Normandy remain grateful to this day.
No comments:
Post a Comment