While all of you in the US were tucking into your turkey and gravy, I was living just another average day in Paris. I even had class, with a quiz! After much consideration, I decided to spend the part of the day that in America would have been spent eating instead walking around in the Marais.
My first order of business was to go to BHV, the big department store on Rue de Rivoli, in search of a warm yet stylish winter hat. I can now confirm that I cannot pull of berets. They are quite popular here, but sadly they look totally ridiculous on me. I did end up getting a black fedora-like hat, but I would have preferred a beret!
Continuing with the department store holiday decor, here are some pictures from BHV. I don't know why these Christmas trees with spoons were all over the store!
After BHV, I set off in search of the American grocery store called, appropriately, Thanksgiving. It turned out to be pretty small; I think they sell a lot of things online rather than on the premises. I did, however, find a few things that made me smile: canned pumpkin, sweet potatoes, packets of gravy, and, most incredibly, Solo cups (for €17.50!!!). They were also selling pumpkin and pecan pies for... €28 each.
Bottom line: It's possible to do Thanksgiving in Paris, but a) it's going to be really expensive and b) you should probably do it yourself rather than buying pies and birds pre-cooked. CRAZY!
Finally, here's one more picture of holiday lights for you. They've finally turned on the lights on Boulevard Saint-Germain, right near my school. I think they are meant to resemble glasses of champagne; there are lights on the side that move in exactly the same way that bubbles creep up the sides of the glass! They're very pretty:
I hope all of you had a great holiday!




No comments:
Post a Comment