I’ve been back in the US for 96 hours now, and... I’m still
waiting for the sadness to kick in.
Of all the reactions I had anticipated upon my return from
Paris, this was not one of them.
No doubt the tristesse will arrive eventually, once the novelty of being back in America wears off.
Puzzlingly, I never did cry before I left. I felt
my tear ducts activate while watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle for the last
time and when walking away from Le Calbar on Tuesday night, but no rush of
anxiety or despair ever occurred on Wednesday during our taxi to the airport,
our long wait for the delayed departure of our flight, or during the eight and
a half hours in the air.
At first I figured that it just hadn’t sunk in that I was
actually leaving/gone. But shouldn’t that have worn off by now? Then again,
I’ve heard a theory that our spirits travel more slowly than our physical
selves, and in the past I’ve felt this to be true. Perhaps my spirit,
undoubtedly the part of me most reluctant to leave Paris, has taken an
unusually slow route across the Atlantic in an effort to delay the rupture of
my connection with the City of Light.
I keep having flashes of random things in Paris: the smell
of the boulangerie at my neighborhood’s main intersection; the voice on the
metro saying “Denfert-Rochereau”; the passing of the cruise ships on the Seine;
the smile of the ever-friendly crepe vendor on Avenue du General Leclerc; the
sound of scooters at all hours of the day and night; the view of the Eiffel
Tower and the Arc de Triomphe from Place de la Concorde; the waves lapping
gently against the quais of the Seine; the men with their well-tailored suits
and long, narrow shoes; the women wearing all black and looking effortlessly
stylish... the list goes on. But as each of these things flashes without
warning into my head, I have no reaction. A slight twinge of nostalgia,
perhaps, but nothing approaching the “ohmyGod I can’t believe I’m here
instead of there, someone please take me back, I can’t stand it!” reaction I’d
expected. It’s very bizarre; I’ve never before had this type of reaction – or lack
thereof – upon returning home from a life-changing experience abroad.
Have aspects of being back in America amused, surprised, or
irritated me? Of course. On our drive home from Dulles on Wednesday night, my
mom and I stopped at a Panera to grab salads for dinner, and of course I
ordered mine with baguette. Just as the best way to get used to cold water is
to jump in rather than gradually submerging yourself, I figured I should just
get the disappointment with baguette/bread in general over with at the earliest
opportunity. I had to chuckle nervously before we even got our food because of
the sign advertising baguettes for $2.99, so much more expensive than in Paris
(even with the exchange rate). Once I had my plate in front of me, I knew from
the moment I touched the piece of baguette that it was going to be awful. True
French baguette only has three ingredients: flour, water, and salt. That’s it.
In America, we have to complicate things; more is always better! The baguette
at Panera was rubbery both inside and out, not at all flaky on the outside or
airy on the inside. I probably made a face when I first bit into it.
Things like that I did expect, along with thinking “God, our
system is so stupid!” each time I buy something and see the seemingly random
final price after taxes (in France all prices include tax) and feeling confused
upon receiving bills rather than coins for $1. People are indeed fatter here,
and oh my gosh, it seems like women everywhere are wearing gym clothes rather
than real clothes while out in public. It’s truly disorienting to see that. And
flip flops! So many flip flops! I felt like a stranger in my own land when I
went shoe shopping two days ago and doggedly searched for sandals that would
stay firmly attached to my foot were I to be walking down the grand boulevards
of Paris.
I’d forgotten some of the charming perks of American life,
especially in warm weather. I visited my law school on Thursday and saw a
number of well-toned guys running without shirts on. You would never see
shirtless runners in Paris, and more’s the pity. (It is an irony of European
culture that although you might see a somewhat jarring amount of exposed skin
on the beach relative to American beachgoers, you will never see anyone walking
the streets shirtless or wearing a covered bathing suit.) I’d also forgotten
how, even in a city like Paris with beautiful gardens and parks everywhere,
your eyes become accustomed to seeing buildings more than greenery. I love the
uniform limestone architecture of Paris and do miss its grandeur, but it’s also
so refreshing to see greenery everywhere. Spring has arrived in Virginia after
a truly ravaging winter, and there are so many trees, particularly the dogwoods
with their lovely white and pink blossoms, and lush green lawns that I find
myself constantly marveling at the beauty of my home state.
Perhaps I’ve done a good job of finding “replacements” for
Paris here in Richmond. On the subject of gardens and greenery, I’ve now tried
to channel my sunbathing in the Tuileries by sitting on my back porch, reading
from my enormous stack of accumulated magazine subscriptions while gazing
periodically at the contrast between the clear blue sky and the shades of green
in the trees and grass. I’ve traded my run along the Seine for a run to a park
about a mile and a half north of my house, where there is a small lake with
lots of lily pads that, if they had blooms, would be reminiscent of the Monet
paintings I admire so much. This afternoon, still not having quenched my thirst
for the aesthetically pleasing outdoors, I drove to a park I hadn’t visited in
probably a decade or more. It has two themed gardens, one Italian and one
Japanese, and my memories of visiting these as a child didn’t fail me: they
were beautiful. They do not and cannot replace the void left by the gardens of
Paris, with their angle-backed chairs and the multi-lingual chatter of passing
tourists, but they do provide a similar sense of peace as you sit to read while
surrounded by beautiful nature.
I have had many
moments of thinking about what’s happening in Paris, six hours ahead. This is
probably what has bothered me most in recent years after I’ve returned from
longer stints abroad. It’s not so much the physical as the temporal distance that pains me. I hate waking up, even at 6:30 as
I’ve done since my return, and knowing that already the people I care about in
Europe have already been up and living their lives for six hours. As I settled
onto the couch last night to watch TV after dinner I thought about how the boys
at Le Calbar had already shaken their last cocktails, cleaned up, and gone
home. Or how, at only 7 p.m. here, they have just turned off the lights
illuminating the Eiffel Tower. I still furrow my eyebrows for a second when I
receive daily emails six hours earlier than I’d previously received them.
It may be that I’ve been unusually effective at persuading
myself to see my summer sojourn in the US as a vacation – a trip abroad before
I go back home. And really, aside from the fact that I have to study for and
take the bar exam, that’s what this is. I’m not really a resident of the United
States anymore; I’m just passing through. My life is waiting for me back in
Europe. Paris seems a bit like a dream to me now, but that’s a good thing. It
will always be there in my heart and mind, and someday – many of them, and soon
– I will be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment