[Note: I don't think I have ever written a travel blog post in which I've come anything close to wishing for some of the good old American comforts. This is a first for me...]
You’re probably under the impression after reading this and
seeing my pictures from the last few weeks that life in Paris is utterly
without problems or causes for concern. This is, of course, not true – though I
am very grateful for the generally awesome nature of life here! This week,
especially because it’s been the first week of class, has upped the stress
level a little bit. Here are some imperfect things about life in Paris:
Problem #1: my language skills. There is nothing like
sitting through International Bankruptcy Law in French to reinforce the extent
to which I have NOT mastered French. That class was particularly challenging
because it was 90 degrees outside, meaning that the huge windows were open, and
in the courtyard below us there were about 100 students chatting, so it was
really difficult to hear the already soft-spoken professor. But let’s not
sugar-coat it... I’m not sure how much more I would have understood even if I
could have heard everything. It’s bankruptcy
law. You can imagine how much I enjoyed my class on the law of global
infrastructure projects yesterday, despite the fact that it took place from
7:15-9:15 on FRIDAY NIGHT, simply because the professor spoke English (with a
fun French accent).
[Sidenote: my bankruptcy professor walked into class wearing
a deep-cut, v-neck, lacy black camisole that covered the essentials but not
much above them. Although this was a bit shocking to our modest American
sensibilities, she looked great – she paired that shirt with a black skirt and green
pumps that matched her green blazer.]
Back to the issue of my French: this is really frustrating
for me on a number of levels. First, as a life-long overachiever, I prefer not
to get my ass handed to me in academic situations and instead to at least reassure
myself that I understand if not actually to participate actively in class.
(Now, obviously, law school in any language challenges this – God knows I sat
through enough Habeas Corpus classes last year going “...what...?” – but adding
a language barrier to that basic level of cluelessness makes things SLIGHTLY
harder.) Second, as I mentioned in my very first post, I used to be really,
really good at French, and I am still really, really good at Spanish. I am not
used to being in a country where I speak at least some of the language and
feeling so consistently humbled by the vast gaps in my knowledge. To a certain
extent I would feel this way even if I were in Spain rather than France – if
you’ve never lived for an extended period of time in a non-English-speaking
country, you’re not going to be fluent in that country’s language no matter how
much you study – but the last three weeks have been a daily reminder of how
much you lose after 10 years of infrequent to practically zero use of a
language that you once knew well. And when random other problems arise (see
below), not being able to use your native language to try to fix them is really
frustrating. For some bizarre reason I still haven’t had anyone automatically
switch to English when talking to me; I speak neither with excellent
pronunciation nor with any particularly forceful confidence, which to me would
both be cues to switch to English... so I guess for that I am somewhat
thankful.
The biggest challenge, of course, is forcing myself to use
French. I could have learned a lot more Spanish during the summer I studied in
Spain had I forced myself to speak Spanish with my American classmates (who
did, after all, speak Spanish too). I’ve hung out with a lot of new friends in
the past week, and though not all are native English speakers, English is the
fallback language. I don’t know if we subconsciously expect to switch to
speaking French together at some undetermined point at which we all feel more
confident... I’m sure we all like that idea in theory, but in these early days
of so much confusion and many things to get used to, it’s such a relief to
switch back to English... which at the end of the day makes things more
efficient but certainly doesn’t do any favors for our French skills. I also
have yet to meet any French people (aside from a couple of friends of friends
who have tagged along with us this week). That would be the best way to learn,
but the French students in our classes (like us) tend to stick together, and
both groups are guilty of not making an effort to approach members of the
other. So that is a bit disheartening... I really like all the people I’ve met
so far, but I’d like to finish this year with some really good FRENCH friends
too!
Enough about my language skills. Problem #2: I still have no
bank card. I opened a bank account two weeks ago this coming Monday. That was a
relatively painless process except for being told I needed to provide a
different electric bill because for some inexplicable reason the one my
roommate had given me was insufficient, despite showing 12 months of payment
when only three are necessary. (I ended up sending in the past 24 months of
electricity payments plus a year of gas payments.) I got a letter last Saturday
telling me that I could go pick up my bank card at my convenience, so of course
I took the bank at its word and showed up on Monday afternoon to eagerly
present this letter and my signed acceptance. Now, let me pause for a moment to
talk about how French banks are different from American banks. In the US, you
walk into a bank, and you get in line to talk to one of tellers behind the
desk, or else you end up in a banker’s office for more complicated things like
opening an account or wiring money. That’s not how it is in France. There are
five or six different ATMs in the lobby of each bank, and they’re designed to
do things that American tellers would normally do – change coins for bills or
vice-versa, deposit checks, etc. There is only one live person you can speak
to, and he or she runs the show from behind a desk. I am not sure what all
these people have the power to do, but the point is that you can’t just walk
into the bank and immediately get something done if you need to interact with
an actual person. Back to my story: the woman behind this desk on Monday told
me that I could not in fact pick up my card; they were still processing the
documents for my account, and I should check back on Thursday or Friday. I
found this irritating given that I had a letter telling me something to the
contrary, but knowing the French love their layers of bureaucracy and still
feeling happy and generous of spirit thanks to my past few glorious days in
London, I thanked her, smiled, and went on my way. I didn’t even go back on
Thursday; I figured, I’ll go on Friday; no need to go on Thursday and be
disappointed if it’ll be ready for sure on Friday. After all, Friday was 10
business days after I opened my account. But NO, I went in yesterday, and this
time a less friendly man at the desk told me the same story. This time I got
angry, and yelled (as best as I could in my French) that I didn’t understand;
I’ve had this letter for six days and had been told no once already. What is
the point of sending a letter if you cannot in fact get your card?! The man
told me, with absolutely zero apology or sympathy, that it was not his problem
and that I should call the guy who opened my account and have him tell me when
I could actually get my card.
This is all frustrating (almost to the point of tears)
because a) this is just so much more difficult than it should have to be and b)
I’m running out of cash. I showed up in Europe with a sizable amount of euros,
figuring that would last me long enough (and it would have, if I could have had
my card on Monday), but it costs money to pull out money from my American
account, and Paris is already horrendously expensive! Losing $5 on top of
everything else to get money to which I should already have fee-free access in
France is just ridiculous. Now you see what I mean about wishing I could deal
with this in English...
Which leads to Problem #3: Paris is really f-ing expensive.
This isn’t immediately apparent – grocery store prices seem very reasonable;
sandwiches and crepes on the street usually cost less than 5 euros (~$6). But take into account things like
this: restaurants and cafes advertising their happy hour specials boast of beer
at a special cost of 6 euros... almost $8! That is ONE beer, at HAPPY HOUR,
even in non-touristy areas! And the thing with Paris is that there are tons of
these sidewalk cafes... but I have yet to sit down at one because they are all
so expensive. I would love nothing more than to treat myself to a lunch in the
sunshine at my own little table from which I could people-watch, but to do that
– to have an actual meal – would cost AT LEAST 20 euros... more than $25! I am
a student; that’s just not happening.
And, finally, Problem #4: my cell phone plan still doesn't do what it's supposed to do. After getting a text telling me I'd already used up my 20 euros of credit (still have no idea how that's possible given that the internet cut off after about 5 minutes total of use) last Sunday, I decided I had better switch to one of the cheap, unlimited plans I'd heard so many people talk about. I signed up with one of those two carriers without any problem; I was even able to retain the number I was already using, and the SIM card came in the mail much sooner than expected. I activated it on Wednesday and learned that my number transfer would occur on September 7 (today), so I waited until this morning to put the SIM card in. Although it connected to a network, my number clearly hasn't transferred yet. I'll give it until tomorrow, but then if I doesn't work, I won't know what to do. This company is all online, so I can't just walk into a store and ask someone.
Okay, that's enough griping. Thanks for reading if you've made it this far. There is a happier post coming later today!
1. Yes, this will be a time of great struggle and you know how much I know and understand that more than anyone! You WILL get your ass handed to you (for me it was French Commercial Law), but it'll make sense in the end. Just keep at it!
ReplyDelete2. I think it took me 2 weeks to get the bank card and checks sorted. They sent me something saying they had it at the bank and in the end they mailed it to me, but it had to be signed for and so they sent it to the Tabac down the road who held it for me until I could figure out where that address was! What bank did you go with in the end? I don't know how feasible it is, but have your roommate talk to them if possible. A strong, native speaker does wonders (yes, I know you want to handle yourself but this will ease your frustration a bit). Remember though - this IS France. If there isn't a pile of red tape involved, they are not happy! ;-)
3. I understand completely about the money situation too! I maybe ate out once every 2 weeks, if that! It was a rarity that my friends and I drank in a bar/cafe/brasserie b/c of the cost. We often bought beer or wine at the supermarket and drank at someone's flat (this is a great way to get to know French people b/c you are forced to have conversation, plus you are a little tipsy and less self conscious of your French!). We had parties well into the night and never left the house. For people watching, I would have coffee and sit for an hour or so. The great thing about the French is that they don't run you off if you sit back and enjoy yourself. They will never rush you, so don't feel compelled to hurry off just because you've finished your drink.
ReplyDeleteTake advantage of other free things to do around the city - there are often concerts in cathedrals you can attend for free and the first Sunday of every month (I think that's right), most if not all museums have free entry (including Versailles).
4. For the longest time I could receive texts and phone calls and connect to the Internet on my phone, but I couldn't make any calls out or send any texts (Virgin Mobile). This was because I hadn't sent them all off the proper paperwork, BUT they never contacted me to tell me this! Needless to say, my second year there I went with someone else!
In sum, I feel your struggle and your pain. For all its charm, grace, and beauty, sometimes France can really get on your nerves!! :-)